The Refugee Council is one of the leading organisation in the UK working with asylum seekers and refugees. Our operational teams based in various locations in England provide advice and assistance across a wide range of issues, including helping asylum seekers through the complexities of the asylum system, addressing issues of destitution and assisting refugees and asylum seekers to access key services including housing, welfare benefits, health, education and employment.
Purpose of the Job
The Refugee Council has a number of different projects and delivers a wide range of services to asylum seekers, refugees and migrants in Yorkshire & Humber including Resettlement.
The Refugee Council resettlement team provides advice and support for refugees to help them adjust to live in the UK, access services and mainstream provision and establish community links. Working closely with local stakeholders and in partnership with other voluntary sector agencies running similar services, the Refugee Council resettlement team promotes both the integration and independence of this group. More recently we have been resettling families arriving as part of the Afghanistan Assistance and Relocation Policy (ARAP) who have been working alongside The British Forces in Afghanistan and are classed as Locally Engaged Staff (LES). In light of the urgency to relocate LES many have arrived in the UK before suitable properties have been identified for them to move into and they are currently being accommodated in hotels.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. To provide a safe and welcoming environment for refugees ensuring that standards are maintained, monitored and that the service meets all statutory and contractual requirements.
2. To provide advice and support in line with individual client support plans in relation to accessing statutory, voluntary and mainstream services. This includes education (schools and colleges), welfare benefits, housing and health services.
3. To assist refugees who may be in a confused or distressed state in understanding systems in the UK and become familiar with their local environment.
4. To deliver the advice, support, signposting and referrals through various means of communication including in person, group briefings, in writing, phone and video calls.
5. To support refugees with information about refugee community organisations and local agencies that can assist with longer term support and remote activities that enable integration and engagement with their local community.
Health & Safety
The post holder is responsible for:
Cooperating with the Refugee Council in delivering all legal responsibilities in respect of your own and your colleagues, volunteers, clients and others health and safety whilst at work.
Becoming familiar with the Refugee Council’s Health & Safety Policy and procedures including evacuation procedures at your workplace.
Carrying out risk assessments of your own work and especially of your own workstation to ensure that you do not expose yourself or others to unnecessary risk.
In order to deliver services effectively, a degree of flexibility is needed and the post-holder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above. Such duties will, however, fall within the scope of the job, at the appropriate grade. The job description will be subject to periodic review with the post-holder to ensure it accurately reflects the duties of the job.
Equal Opportunities Statement
As part of its recruitment policy, the Refugee Council intends to ensure that no prospective or actual employee is discriminated against on the basis of race, sex, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation, employment status, class, disability, age, religious belief or political persuasion, or is disadvantaged by any condition or requirement which is not demonstrably justifiable.
This job is suitable for partly home working
This post is subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check. Repeat checks are initiated every two years.
This post is suitable for part home working.
For more information please see Job Description
To apply please complete the online Application Form
Please note that we can only consider application submitted via our application form. If you have any problems applying online please contact firstname.lastname@example.org